Thursday, July 12, 2018

Amber talks "DESIGNS"

The love for clothing started in primary school . She always found herself busy drawing pieces of clothing and cutting out swatches from her mothers old table cloths and sometimes from her own clothing . she remembered the day her mom first bought a doll and she started making clothing for the doll . "I have always been fascinated with fashion and clothing making"  she  said.

Her mom wanted her to become an accountant and dad wanted her to become a lawyer . 

"I remember, many nights that year I would cry because of the pressure that was placed on me by my mother and father . eventually I ended up choosing my subjects , which was Business , Cat AND Accounting.Grade 12 came and again I found myself crying myself to sleep , because now the pressure was back . Because I was heading into the GROWN UP world . Over the course of 5 yrs , I've received some many diplomas , served in the RCL for 3 of the 5 yrs . Been on the matric council , and I served on the SGB ( SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY ) for 2 yrs . I think this also led to my parents being so hard on me , regarding my career choice . At first , my mom and dad wasn't so happy with me studying fashion design but after , they saw the work I produced in only the first 6 months of university and the determination I had for fashion".


She's currently a first year student at CPUT Cape Town campus , in the design faculty studying fashion design . So far they've only made or been taught to make a skirt . She self taught herself how to make other prices of clothing like hoodies , joggers , bra-lettes , pants , tops etc . She managed to get an old sewing machine from her neighbor and been doing her side hustle for about 2 months now . "I have a page on IG called blvckbirdbyaed and she's my baby . I am using the page as platform to showcase my pieces and get peoples feedback . I encourage interaction and people to direct message me on my social media pages"  she said, as we all agree that media plays a huge role in fashion.



Prsenters & Producers: Micurls Muller & Khusi Veto

Written By: Micurls Muller


No comments: