Thursday, March 31, 2022

Yashna's Music Inspires Through Genre-Bending and Cultural Depth



Yashna is a Durban based multi-genre singer/songwriter who has solidified her place in the music industry over the last few years. Having entered the scene in the latter part of 2016, Yashna has been able to break molds and shift gears for independent artists with her accomplishments.  

She was recently interviewed on The Morning Cruise and said her influence derives from her roots as an Indian artist trying to inspire a future generation. She said as a young child she didn't have Indian influences to look up to, but now that she is come in to her own, she wants to fill that gap for young people.

Between her gender bending style and fierce independence as an artist, Yashna doesn't wait for doors to open for her, she kicks them open and makes a name for herself. 

"I've come a really long way, and I'm really proud of what I've been able to accomplish," she told The Morning Cruise. "I want to impart what I've learned as an independent artist onto others." 

As an independent, Yashna does all her submissions and public relations by herself. She submits all her tracks to radio and TV and acts as her own publicist. She said it has been difficult, especially amid the pandemic, but it hasn't stopped her from pursuing her goals. 

"Putting in the work for the dream that has been placed in my heart, I'm not one to give up easy," Yashna said. "It's either adapt or get lost. there are no excuses so I found a way to make it work."


She received the Best Musician Award at the 2020 Durban Creative Awards, won the Joox Opening Act competition, opened up for Master KG, formed part of Shekinah’s Rosefest 2020 line-up, and made it to the semi-finals of Sportscene's "Put Me On” competition in the same year. 

In 2021 she featured in Drum Magazine, Slikour's "Hot on the Streets,” as well as Sportscene’s “Weekend Turn-Up" segment.

Yashna said her gritty mentality and achievements come largely from her roots as an Indian woman. It isn't a direct cultural line, though. She said her cultural upbringing didn't encourage passions like music as a viable career option. 

"Doing the normal way of life wasn't it for me," Yashna said. "There aren't many Indian musicians who have paved the way for me. I'm breaking that mold."

She said it took a while for her family to support her dream of being an artist, but now that she has seen success on a national scale, there's no putting the cat back in the bag. 

"Once people started seeing me, they started validating me and showing me it is possible. I feel like I'm making it possible for Indian artists," Yashna said. "I hold a big responsibility, but I'm very proud of how far I've come because it's opening doors for the next generation of creatives." 

Yashna told The Morning Cruise she has an upcoming project built on the sounds of her culture and based heavily on the musical influences of Bollywood that defined her childhood.


By Ben Rappaport 



Connect with Yashna International on Social media
Instagram: @yashna_int   Facebook: Yashna International   YouTube: Yashna International 


No comments: